Joel Rubinstein is a partner at White & Case, and a member of the Firm's Capital Markets Practice. Joel has particular expertise in advising issuers, underwriters and investors on the IPOs of special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs), as well as SPACs, target companies and investors in M&A transactions between SPACs and operating companies. He has represented clients in more than 75 SPAC IPOs, raising aggregate gross proceeds of more than US$25 billion, and in more than 30 business combination transactions with an aggregate enterprise value of more than US$35 billion.
Thursday February 15, 2018
SPAC IPO Structuring Alternatives
- Unit and warrant structure.
- Sponsor’s at-risk capital.
- Forward purchase agreements.
- Onshore vs. offshore SPACs.
- Use of IPO proceeds for expenses.
Thursday February 7, 2019
Financial Statement Requirements for Business Combinations
- SEC requirements for target financial statements in the SPAC business combination context
- Identifying issues early in the process that could delay the deal
- Process for seeking relief from the SEC from the technical requirements
- Post-closing financial statement issues
Wednesday June 15, 2022
What it Takes to be a SPAC Sponsor
- Demonstrating expertise in at least one business sector
- Maintaining deep connections to finance professionals, private equity
- Proven hands-on M&A experience, preferably on both the buy and sell sides
- Track record of C-Suite level management success
Thursday June 24, 2021
Let’s Talk About (Potential) Government Regulation
- SPACs raise growing policy concerns for Congress and the SEC
- Issues under scrutiny include regulatory treatment, investor protection, listing standards
- Will regulators crack down on high sponsor fees?
- What barriers to entry might the SEC create?
Thursday February 6, 2020
How to Anticipate and Minimize Risks and Costs Pre- and Post-IPO
- The impact of competition from PE firms
- Mitigating cyber risks during due diligence
- SPAC insurance coverage
- Satisfying regulatory filing requirements