Yelena is a member of Woodruff Sawyer’s transactional insurance brokerage and SPAC teams. She advises clients on M&A- and IPO-related insurance solutions, including representations and warranties insurance and D&O insurance for SPACs.
Yelena is a frequent speaker and author. She serves as the M&A managing editor of the American Bar Association’s Business Law Today and is the executive editor of the SPAC Notebook, a blog series that covers SPACs and SPAC risks.
In 2022, Yelena was named in Insurance Business America's "Hot 100," which lists top professionals whose contributions have helped shape the insurance industry.
Prior to Woodruff Sawyer, Yelena oversaw the development of Bloomberg Law’s practical guidance, reference and analysis content, covering capital markets, M&A, and securities law.
Yelena practiced as a senior capital markets associate at Clifford Chance and a corporate associate at LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae (later Dewey & LeBoeuf) and earned her BS in Economics from Cornell University and her JD from Fordham University School of Law.
Wednesday June 28, 2023
Designing SPAC Transactions to Minimize Risk
- The role of due diligence in mitigating SPAC lawsuits
- Why transparency = longevity in the SPAC market
- Investor support begins with good investor communication
- Why you want an independent financial advisor’s input
- Handling SEC scrutiny and reporting outcomes to investors
Wednesday June 15, 2022
SPAC Litigation: Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional
- The most alarming types of cases
- Notable trends
- Case studies: Avoid mistakes others have already made
- Insurance as a defense litigation tool?
- Our SPAC crystal ball
Wednesday June 23, 2021
Will Immunovant’s Insurance Policies Protect it from Litigation & Lessons for other SPACs
- Understanding which policy covers what: Representations and Warranties Insurance (RWI) vs D&O insurance
- Is D&O insurance optional and why is it so expensive?
- Why use or avoid RWI in a SPAC business combination
- Trends in claims and litigation in D&O and RWI